Tuesday, March 15, 2011

alex

The past weekend Alex was taken to urgent care for vomiting, and possibly a bladder infection/UTI. He had a fever over 102. The doctor at urgent care basically said it was the stomach flu, and there was nothing he could do about a possible UTI since Alex wouldn't pee in a cup. I saw him on Friday at his cardiologist appt in Portland, and he was doing really well. Happy and content, enjoying riding around in one of the wagons they loan out. I noticed he had a really large, red bump on his forehead (on top of his forehead plaque), but figured it was just from him recently hitting it on something.

On Saturday, we went for our weekly visit. He was miserable...wasn't a good visit at all. They mentioned they were going to take him back to urgent care because he had vomited again the night before. I told them they might as well take him now, that way we could go with him. After hearing about the urgent care doctor, I decided to try calling his new doctor's office, even though we haven't officially had the long consultation to bring the dr up to speed on Alex's condition (that's in a couple more weeks). We were able to get him in, and I really liked the dr on call. He wasnt too concerned about a UTI, as they are apparently really uncommon in boys, and since we weren't able to get a clean catch of urine, there was no way to confirm one wy or another. He was concerned about the lump on his forehead, even after we told him there's normally a lump (just not so red or swollen). He didn't feel any pus, though there was a little whitehead thing there...so there was nothing that needed to be drained. He was concerned about MRSA though, so put Alex on an antibiotic that would help with that, as well as any UTI he might have. Told us to bring him back if there were more fevers. I called the home today, and he's been really happy today. The lump is looking much better too.

The other thing I noticed on Saturday, is that one of his molars is rotting. I could see something brown and rotten at the gum line...perhaps the root? I'm really frustrated with the dental care he's getting. I was under the impression we were jut going to schedule sedation, and then do whatever needed to be done at that time. When I called to schedule that, the woman said that he needed to be seen first and then they come up with a plan and schedule sedation at that time. That means Alex has to go up twice. I'm going to try to call back and see if I can get someone to check his file to make rue that isn't written anywhere. She said they won't know until they see him if he'll need just some light sedation, or will have to book an OR. Well, I can tell you right now he's gonna need an OR! UGH! Why can't they just book it? They will undoubtedly find many other things while he's under that they won't find during a two second look in his mouth!

This was written on my iPad, so forgive any spelling errors (or "helpful" iPad word corrections). Not feeling like proofreading this tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment