Sunday, July 17, 2011

the update on alex's dental situation

There's nothing quite like trying to voice a concern/complaint and having no one give a crap. A little update on my complaint about Alex's dental care:

As I previously blogged, there was a letter written outlining why we were upset. I got in contact with a woman who seemed to care, and said she would forward the letter to the appropriate people. If I hadn't heard from anyone in a week, then to call her back. Well, after waiting a week and not hearing back from her, I both called and emailed. That was a week ago, and never heard back from her.

So last Friday, I decided to call the hospital and ask how to go about making a formal complaint (rather than "trying to find someone to voice my concerns to"). I got connected to a patient relations advocate (or something like that). I told her everything, including I wanted to file a formal complaint with the hospital and told her I was about to file complaints with the Oregon Health Authority as well as the Joint Commission, as I was getting no where by trying to talk with the hospital. She said she was going to contact the doctor in charge of the dental program first to make sure he knew what was going on. Whatever. He's the one who I tried leaving a voicemail with in the first place, and is the one the "helpful woman" was going to forward my email to first.

I am giving them until 2pm on Monday. If I don't hear back, I will be filing formal complaints with the OHA and Joint Commission. (Not sure where that'll get me exactly...but at least it'll feel like I'm doing something useful.)

I really would love to talk to the head of the dental program to find out what he plans to do to ensure Alex never has to wait that long again. I'm not even sure he'll ever call back. Pretty sad as this place is likely considered the best special needs dental program in the state.

(As an aside, I really think I'm over teaching hospitals. I'm sick of having to deal with clueless residents all the time.)

Meanwhile, Alex had his dental appointment last Wednesday (finally). He ended up having 5 baby teeth pulled (due to extensive cavities), 5 cavities filled, and a root canal and cap put on. Oh, but he wasn't in any pain....not at all. [rolling my eyes so hard they're about to fall out]

The dentist who saw him for his initial exam (sitting out in the hallway, no less) apparently actually thought that three or four 5-second glimpses in his mouth was sufficient enough for her to write "no significant findings" in his chart, and then proceed to tell me that they would not be sedating him for another two years.

Still pissed beyond belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment