I worked all weekend on getting a visual schedule put together for Alex (and still am not done). I have a bedtime schedule almost done (have to add a "finished" pocket...he will take the cue off when he's done with the certain task, and put it in the finished pocket), and I got a lot of picture cues laminated and cut and organized in an album. I should have done this a long time ago, but I could never seem to get around to it. Poor Alex, 8 years later and I'm finally getting serious with the PECS. It's just been so hard trying to think of object cues for everything (it's hard enough to find pictures...like "go for walk"...what will I use for that?) that my heart was never in it. I've decided that Alex is smart enough to learn picture cues though, and we'll just use them consistently until he learns. He might not get it right away, but anything is better than nothing. And I bet it won't take too long. We're starting with his bedtime routine, which he already knows, in hopes that it'll click for him sooner. (Speaking of the bedtime routine...last night things didn't go exactly as they normally do. Jeremy brushed his teeth, but in the middle Alex was starting to get agitated, so I quickly came in and did the blood pressure before he got too upset. Well, to Alex that meant he was absolutely done brushing his teeth and he ran to open the bathroom drawer to get out his fluoride. Jeremy wasn't done brushing though, and it took awhile to get Alex to where he forgot about the fluoride long enough to finish up.)
Aaaand I just noticed I misspelled "fluoride" on his picture cue below.



-------
Behavior-wise, this past weekend wasn't too bad, actually. There were moments of fits, but lots of smiles as well. I took the kids on a walk on Saturday afternoon at Alex's insistence, and then J and I took them to a playground on Sunday afternoon as Alex was super active and hyper. No major meltdowns to report. There definitely was some hitting, and he did get Tylenol Sunday morning because it was looking like it might continue for some time. However, he perked right up after he got the Tylenol...as in right after he got it, so no way it could have kicked in for a headache. Hmmmm. Let's hope he's not learning that if he behaves this way, he gets a treat.
Saturday's bedtime BP: 128/71
Sunday's bedtime BP: 132/82
2 comments:
I love the cue cards! Those are great and I think he'll respond well to them over time.
Thanks Karen! I'm here looking. the schedule looks great. I think Alex is smart enough to learn pictures too. How's he doing with them?? How's this week been?
Post a Comment