Friday, March 12, 2010

babies and aliens

Last night before bed, Ben asked, "When I was ready to be born, did I just slice my way out? Or did I just squeeze out?". Oh Ben, really? Really?! It's that time already? So I said, "Well, I suppose you squeezed out." and then held my breath. Sure enough, after a long pause, "Where did I squeeze out of?" So I explained a bit about female anatomy, to which he replied, "Ahhhh. Okay, now I've got it." and then after a slight moments pause, launched into the other pressing matter: "What are those aliens that aren't really aliens, again?" "You mean, Illegal Aliens?" (we'd just seen a blurb on the news about that a night or so ago) "Yeah, them!" And then I had to explain why they are called aliens and what makes them illegal, and that even if they are here illegally that doesn't necessarily make them evil and bad people that would hurt other people.

Next up: how does the baby get inside the mommy, for which I will produce a nice, age-appropriate book to read to him that will explain just about everything he wants to know and more.

1 comment:

Wendy Sparrow said...

We've talked about illegal aliens with my kids too. LOL. I thought we were freaks, but apparently the use of the word "aliens" is interesting to other people's kids too. My husband had to deal with a heavy discussion this week. He had to explain to True what "Asperger's" is... and True asked, "Do I have that?" Yeah... I'm glad Joel took the hit on that one.

Post a Comment