Rosanna, the house manager, will be calling me every evening with an update. Yesterday she called, and put my mind at ease some. I reiterated the need for Alex to have two or more foods that he could rotate through, and she said she's going to get something laminated and put up in the kitchen stating just that, along with a list of his favorite foods to be offered alongside whatever they were serving. I said I was concerned about his weight, and so now the plan is for him to be weighed twice a week and offered food every hour. He also did have a BM both Tuesday after I left for the hotel, and Wednesday after I left for home...so I'm not as concerned about that (even though they were still pretty hard and solid). I left two bottles of prune juice for him when I left (among a ton of other foods I know he'd eat), so hopefully that will help even more.
I'm thinking Ben's "I hate Alex and am glad he's gone" attitude is him putting on a tough-guy front. I think he probably feels something missing as well, and is determined not to be sad about it. I'm wondering if he feels like he can't feel sad around us, since he already knows we're sad about Alex leaving...as if we would then have to worry about both Alex and Ben. I think he's trying to show us that he's just fine, and that we don't have to worry about him because he's happy. And probably all sorts of emotions that he doesn't really know how to express. He is very attached to me lately, kissing me over and over, telling me that he loves me....I think he might be concerned that I might give him away too. He's experienced so much loss this past year: both cats and now his brother.
We're going back up April 10-12th.
2 comments:
I am so glad they will be weighing him once or twice a week. Poor little Ben. In regards to the cats dying, Camilla is still bringing up Peanut dying in the pool, so of course, Ben being older, it is going to affect him. We would love to see him and have him play with his cousins, when you are ready!
Oh... I hadn't realized both your cats had died. Your poor family. I think you're right about Ben. So much has changed in his life and he is trying to make sense of it. That's awesome that they'll be weighing Alex regularly. I'm impressed Alex will drink prune juice. Hugs to you and yours, Karen. Thinking about you.
Post a Comment