Today he got a letter in the mail from his new teacher. He listened while I read it to him (and really liked the part about the little class bunny named Cosmo). So then we got to talking about school and what he was feeling. He's been pretty nonchalant about it whenever someone asks him if he's excited - "Um, yeah...sure", and such. Well, tonight he let it all out. Started crying and saying he was nervous and "shy of making friends". I told him that most all of the kids were feeling the very same way. I told him that sometimes I felt shy and nervous. He asked if daddy ever felt shy, and I assured him he did. He said he was worried about me leaving him there. It was all I could do to not cry myself...yikes! The poor thing had been holding it all in all this time. I'm not sure what I can do to make him feel better. I reminded him that he made quick friends with Darby (my cousin Julia's almost 6yo daughter) when she came to visit, and he remembered that he could make friends with kids at the play place in the mall...and started feeling a little better. But he is quite introverted like his parents, and it hurts me to have to go through all those emotions all over again through my son. I just want to cuddle him and keep him protected. I don't want any kids to be mean to him. I want everyone to see how awesome he is.
Da kindergarten jitterz...I has 'em too!*
*For those that aren't as dorky-website saavy as the rest of us,
No comments:
Post a Comment