Looks like I'll be volunteering on Tuesdays in Ben's class starting in October. I'll be in charge of the "English Station". The kids are divided into four groups and rotate through different stations every 12-13 minutes. I'm also set to be the class photographer, and will go in for parties to photograph the kids having fun. Ben isn't as enthused as I am about the whole volunteering thing. Yesterday I told him, "I get to teach in your class on Tuesdays, isn't that cool?" to which he replied, "Um that is UNcool, UNneat, UNfun, UNamazing!". I looked at him for a sec, trying to figure out if he'd actually just said what I thought he'd said (isn't that supposed to not start until he's older?). He looked at me looking at him and quickly said, "Just kidding, just kidding!" I told him he didn't need to worry about hurting my feelings, that he could tell me how he felt. He then said something about liking his teacher, and I clarified that I wouldn't be taking her place, that I'd only be helping her out. Apparently he thought I'd be taking over his teacher's job. Now that that's cleared up....we'll just have to see how he behaves when I am teaching his group. I'm authorized to give them warnings and threaten the time out chair if they don't behave....and I'm hoping Ben doesn't end up being the one I keep having to warn! ;)
Things I've found out about Ben's kindergarten:
- There is PE on Mondays and Wednesdays, Library Day on Tuesdays, and Music on Fridays.
- He has a class bunny named Cosmo who is brown and has ears that stick up (rather than flop down).
- He will come home on Fridays with a "Friday Folder" containing weekly mail/newsletters, and an "I Can Read" folder containing...not sure yet, but I'd guess something having to do with reading.
- The teacher does not check backpacks for communication from home; it's up to Ben to get it to her.
No comments:
Post a Comment