Alex had his 8 year old well child checkup last week. He was 64lbs (in between 50-75th percentile) for weight, and they weren't able to get a height (but he's still quite tall for his age, so I'm guessing he's still somewhere in the 90th percentile like he always has been). Every year the dr is impressed with his development. The pediatrician says she sees him so rarely that she sees huge growth from one year to the next. It seems to me that he's right where he was last year (only stronger), but she claims he's more social and expressive with her. His receptive language has definitely grown, I'll give her that.
Ben has discovered Sleeping Beauty, and loves sprinkling pretend "Sleep Dust" on me, and then after I pretend to fall asleep, he'll give me a kiss on the cheek to wake me back up. The other day my mom was over for respite, and I was planning on reading and then taking a nap during that time, so it worked out quite well when he sprinkled the sleep dust on me, and I pretended to sleep until he closed the door. I read some, then really did fall asleep....and when it was time for my mom to leave, I was awoken by a kiss from my little prince charming. Haha! He was so excited to be able to kiss me awake for real. :)
Alex has been up and down with his moods, as usual. He was happy as can be yesterday morning and then in the evening was a total grump. Then today has been the opposite: super unhappy this morning, and right now he's happy (though it's only a little after 5pm). His tantrums are getting so tiresome. He's incredibly loud when he screams, and more and more he's being violent to us, rather than to himself. He's also purposefully doing things he knows is naughty, like taking his plate of food and throwing it across the room. This morning during his tantrum he went to the table where Ben was eating, grabbed a handful of soggy cereal out of the bowl and threw it on the ground. It seems he's gotten to the stage (if there is a stage) where he wants to make us as upset as he is. He doesn't want to be the only one mad! We really don't give him much of a reaction when he does this...well, most of the time. There have been times where he's gotten me yelling, and I guess one time is all it takes for him to try again the next time. And the next. And the next. Some days Mommy's fuse is nice and long, other days it's really short. I try not to react, but man....after a half and hour or more of screaming and hitting and pushing Ben, when he flings food all over the walls and floor...it's just too much.
The 4th of June is Alex's last day of 2nd grade (since we'll be in California on the 5th). He'll be going to a different school and will have a different teacher for 3rd through 6th grade. I'm nervous! He's done so well with his current teacher the past two years. The STEPS program that he's in has the classes split up such that he changes teachers and classrooms every three years. There is no 3rd-6th grade STEPS classroom at our home school, so he'll be bussed to the next town over (it's actually not that far).
The size difference between 3rd grade kids and 6th grade kids seems to be a lot bigger than the difference between kindergarteners and 2nd graders. I wonder what he'll think of so many bigger kids? He's the only 2nd grader in his class this year, the rest are K and 1st. I wonder what he'll think being among the youngest?
His end of year brunch is the 4th and they've asked if I could bring my homemade cinnamon rolls again. Of course! I've brought them every year. It's always a great excuse to make them...otherwise we'd only get them on Christmas morning. Mmmm.....maybe I should go make a test batch. ;)
I got a decent price for a hotel room in Concord via bidding on Priceline, so we'll be leaving for the Bay Area after Jeremy gets home from work on the 4th. We'll be getting into Concord around 11:30 most likely. I hate driving in the dark. Blah. But at least this way we won't need to get up and be out of the house by 4am to make our appt on the 5th. We'll see the neurologist and then drive up to Sacramento where we'll be staying for the weekend visiting Jeremy's sisters. I'm excited (and exhausted) just thinking about it. I really hope Alex is on his best behavior!
No comments:
Post a Comment