Thursday, July 2, 2009

swimming

We went to the pool again today (I slathered SPF 70+ on myself this time). Alex and Julie (respite provider) came along and stayed exactly 10 minutes. Alex freaked out walking into the changing area, then freaked out walking out to the pool. Got him in and he was all smiles and laughs until his annoying mother made him detach his death grip and try to stand in the shallow end. That was it. Not fun anymore. He was done. Luckily we had taken two vehicles just in case this happened, so Julie was able to leave with Alex and calm him down.

Ben and I stayed another hour and a half swimming around. He even let me take his life jacket off and he swam from the wall to me and back again many times. And by "swam", I mean he flailed around and somehow made it from point A to point B. He went under a few times, but didn't freak out. I think we'll be ready for swim lessons again this fall/winter. I want him to spend some time in kindergarten learning how to follow directions, then we'll enroll him again. I think he'll do well now that he's had some fun time in the pool. He has way more confidence than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment